Prepare MARC21 Files
- For recommendations on encoding MARC collection guides, see our UC Bibliographic Standards for Cooperative, Vendor, and Campus Backlog Cataloging [PDF] (Appendix B, "Collection Level Records").
- Files must be in the MARC 21 format (i.e., not MARCXML). Note that a single file may constitute an individual MARC record, or may constitute multiple MARC records.
- We recommend naming files using lowercase letters and numbers, underscores, or dashes; do not include spaces. Use periods for the file extension only.
- Use .mrc or .marc as a file name extension. Do not include punctuation at the end of the file name.
- Within the context of the OAC display, the Leader 07 (BLvl; Bibliographic Level) MARC field is used to differentiate collection guides vs. item-level records in search and browse results. Any record coded as "c" (for collection) will appear on the Collections search results tab; otherwise, the record will appear on the Items search results tab.